Finally Finished the disappearing nine patch!

My Grandsons Quilt!

I started this quilt for my oldest grandson many years ago. It was one of the very first quilts I made, and the disappearing nine patch was a pattern I knew well. (I had also made it for my daughter, and you can see it here.) Please excuse the dead grass, we live in Texas, we don’t get snow during the winter, just dead grass for a couple months!

The piecing on this quilt was finished rather quickly for a newbie. I rented time on a long-arm, was rather frustrated at the time. Frustrated as I was, I just didn’t take as much care as I should have. I tried ribbon candy in the solid rows. The person I rented time from suggested a curvy x in the large squares, so I did it because I just wanted it to be completed. When I got it home and looked at it I hated it.

It is my belief that you can’t just give a quilt to someone that is worked on with frustration. That negative energy will absorb into the quilt. I wanted to give him something filled with love, not frustration.

This quilt that was pieced with so much love just sat. No trimming and no binding. The first step was to take out the quilting on the patterned blocks. Then when I got my OWN long-arm, I decided to frog the ENTIRE quilt. That took quite some time, as it would come out and then go back into hiding.

Finally the quilt was a flimsy again. I loaded it up and away I went. The Arcade pantograph is the perfect choice for this quilt. It has some rounded edges to soften it up, but also sharp corners to echo the pattern of the quilt.

I used green flannel for the backing. Flannel is so soft and cuddly, my grandson will love it!

Let me know what you have completed! I would love to see it!

This entry was posted in Family Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Finally Finished the disappearing nine patch!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *